Apology Regarding Countdown Madness Issues

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl

Carl Administrator Staff Member

Dear friends,

While running our Countdown Madness for the launch, we messed up. We’re in sprint mode for launch, and the stress and lack of sleep led to some pretty bad judgement on our end. These are no excuses for what happened.

What Happened

Our forum was not designed for so many posts to be posted at once. Although the database stored the correct values, some posts numbers showed up as duplicates. When these duplicates were later fixed, they changed the order of all subsequent posts.

People who originally thought they won a OnePlus One ended up with nothing, and understandably got upset. We came up with solutions on how to make things fair, but instead of dealing with the issue immediately, we said we would do it after launch. For such a highly anticipated product, this was a bad call. It left users, our users, with extreme anxiousness over whether or not they’d receive the OnePlus One.

Making Things Right

Another way in which we messed up is how long we took to address this issue. Again, there are no excuses here.

The original winners, along with the new winners, will all receive their OnePlus Ones. In addition, each of the 5 people who all originally got post 50000 will receive devices. This means that the total number of devices has gone from 3 to 10. These 10 people will also be receiving 2 invites each, as soon as they are available. The full list of OnePlus One winners are as follows:
    • JinRoh
    • mr.rkp
    • bdithug
    • ishmoo21
    • Maciej
    • acersahibi77
    • caffeine
    • yawn
    • Zeruxky
    • Vozze
    For the other posts that got displaced (mugs, t-shirts, & pens), we do not have the possibility to go back and check each and every one of the 700 items. Sorry for this. Instead, we will add another 100 OnePlus Original Ballpoint Pens and 100 Never Settle T-shirts, and give them out randomly to people who have posted in our Countdown Madness.

There’s been some accusations that we’ve deleted threads where users were complaining about this. No topics were deleted, but rather merged due to being duplicated. I can understand how our lack of communication made things look worse than they were.

Please allow us some time to get these new items together, since it was unplanned.

OnePlus One Unveiling

Although we are a startup, we are still in a stronger situation than any individual user. In the future, we’ll react much faster than we did this time. I hope these actions are satisfactory, and thank you for your understanding. We’ll try our best, I’m sure there will be situations where we’ll need your understanding in the future too.

The OnePlus One is being unveiled in less than 2 days. We have prepared some celebratory launch avatars, and the Countdown Madness is still open. We’re as excited as ever to show you what we’ve been up to.

Never Settle.
  2. MF831

MF831 Level: Jelly Bean

Awesome good job!
    alkeram and jshjx like this.
  3. J0han

J0han Level: KitKat Moderator

Wow, that's indeed a great way to solve this. I really like the fact that you guys are keeping so close to us customers. There are way too many "fat and happy" corporations out there today so I really hope that you'll be able to stay differentiated! Really makes the "plus" in "OnePlus" mean something :)
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    alkeram, yaltis, billyling93 and 2 others like this.
  4. mydragoon

mydragoon Level: KitKat

that's very nice gesture, Carl.

you guys have turned what was a PR nightmare into yet another positive publicity.

honesty is always the best policy and i think this really makes you guys different from others.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    alkeram, yaltis, kampuamee and 5 others like this.
  5. MrAndroid

MrAndroid Level: Jelly Bean

Super nice, good way to handle it, apology accepted!
    alkeram and Friendofoblivious like this.
  6. softcookie7

softcookie7 Level: Cupcake

Congratulations to the winners! Good action from @Carl
  7. Gorynytj

Gorynytj Level: KitKat

That means they will get spammed about invites :eek:

But well done by you :)
    alkeram, Sitanoni and danmendes like this.
  8. Avanzer

Avanzer Level: Gingerbread

Good call.
    alkeram likes this.
  9. Darksidious

Darksidious Level: Jelly Bean

I like your reaction you are really fair!!!! You are an awesome company it's why I'm already crazy about your futur product!!!
    alkeram and Joyero like this.
  10. samitamba

samitamba Level: Éclair

Out of the never settle spirit, could I get a shirt!
    Haha jk. I wish tho.
    Happy to see so much dedication. Thanks for the great support @ oneplusone staff
    alkeram likes this.
  11. moses

moses Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

nice one guys
  12. fedecassi

fedecassi Level: Gingerbread

I think this is the best solution possible!
    alkeram likes this.
  13. Simonbarsinistr

Simonbarsinistr Level: KitKat

Way to step up, there's just one user that doesn't deserve his phone. Waiting just a day before spouting off to every outlet he could about being cheated was a low attempt at extortion, as I see it. I hate to see him rewarded for that behavior.
    alkeram, zmanc7, knoxy1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. dgball

dgball Level: Gingerbread

alkeram likes this.
  15. jewjitsu117

jewjitsu117 Level: Gingerbread

alkeram likes this.
  16. sahaven7

sahaven7 Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Well handled.
    alkeram and GregOrevo like this.
  17. justyfier

justyfier Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

good job guys!!!!! Now Let's all wait and see what the have in store for us in 2 days!!!
    alkeram likes this.
  18. MF831

MF831 Level: Jelly Bean

@Carl are you sending me an invite with my prizes (mug, shirt, and pen) ?:D
    alkeram likes this.
  19. Martin Z

Martin Z Level: Ice Cream Sandwich

Fair and square
    alkeram likes this.
  20. Einstein

Einstein Level: Froyo

Fair play guys, well done for being honest and putting your hands up to the error.
    alkeram likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.