Android Lollipop Update - Official Release Dates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bradon H Community Team Staff Member Mar 17, 2015

Bradon H, Mar 17, 2015 :
    Hey friends,

We know there is a lot of excitement in the community surrounding the Lollipop updates for the One, and for good reason. We are just as excited as you are.

We never intended to keep you waiting. Unfortunately, we ran into some unexpected roadblocks. First, there was an unforeseen OS signing issue, which has recently been resolved. Our camera module had stability issues on Lollipop, and we had to rebuild it for compatibility. Several other crucial drivers, including our Wi-Fi drivers, also needed to be updated to work flawlessly with the upgrade. Admittedly, it took a little more time than we had planned, but we only release updates that we are proud of; that means refusing to take shortcuts or deliver sub-par experiences.

With all of that in mind, here are the official release dates for Android Lollipop on the OnePlus One:

CM 12S: The official OTA update for the OnePlus One will be released on or before March 30, 2015

OxygenOS:
    The official release of our own Lollipop-based ROM will be available for download on or before March 27, 2015

To show you how serious we are about this commitment to our community, we are prepared to put our money where our mouth is. If we miss either one of these deadlines, we will give away five (5) 64GB OnePlus One devices to our fans. Reply to this thread to be eligible.

It’s our little way of saying thank you for being patient and for joining us on our journey to create amazing, user-driven experiences.

Never Settle.

EDIT (2015/3/27):
    Closing the loop. Latest updates regarding lollipop will be shared in the following thread:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/an-update-on-oxygenos.285917/

Winners of the 5 devices have been announced there.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015

2. talluri Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 17, 2015

3. keithnyc KitKat Moderator Mar 17, 2015

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

4. Echo_2000 Froyo Mar 17, 2015

5. SydBrown Honeycomb Mar 17, 2015

6. EpicSwirly Guest Mar 17, 2015

EpicSwirly, Mar 17, 2015 :
    Thank you very much for announcing this. I am very excited for both. And I'm glad you guys are starting to understand that your customers require to be updated with the current situations. Good work OnePlus.

7. Niels_Andersen Jelly Bean Mar 17, 2015

8. Dhong Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 17, 2015

9. advocateishantchopra KitKat Mar 17, 2015

10. MNavy_ Jelly Bean Mar 17, 2015

11. ItsBrock Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 17, 2015

12. Dhong Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 17, 2015

Dhong, Mar 17, 2015 :
    Thanks

13. a_agarwal Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 17, 2015

a_agarwal, Mar 17, 2015 :
    Good to hear some official word on this, thank you. And hi-5 to you all for the above commitment! :)

14. Rick Manders Jelly Bean Community Expert Mar 17, 2015

15. CZDaywalker Gingerbread Mar 17, 2015

16. mlthril Cupcake Mar 17, 2015

17. DaxNagtegaal Lollipop Mar 17, 2015

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

18. hhaddadin Eclair Mar 17, 2015

19. keithnyc KitKat Moderator Mar 17, 2015

keithnyc, Mar 17, 2015 :
    @Bradon H : Thanks so much for the info. Suggestion...if you guys cannot make this OTA flashable, can you PLEASE re-consider also making an easy to use installation toolkit for folks that want to install Oxygen but don't want to mess around with a manual update? It will get a lot more people onto Oxygen (and "never settling" for something else..... ) that may instead be going with CM simply just because it's a much easier update.

I mean, If one of OPO's goals is to get a lot of its user base onto Oxygen, then creating an easy to use installation toolkit with the Oxygen OS will go a LONG way to helping OPO achieve that goal. And consider one more advantage.......there will also be less folks that need to be "dual supported" for the next year that CM is still officially supporting the One.

Without doing this, I believe you might be losing a significant section of your user base (i.e., those that will instead be going the "CM route" for the sole reason because it's a simple update). I'd be interested to hear your (or the Oxygen team's) thoughts on this matter. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

20. anzi2001 Jelly Bean Mar 17, 2015