Android 7.1.1, no fix for...

1. UKFX Froyo Mar 20, 2017

UKFX, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Rather disappointed to see that the volume controls still stay on the screen for ages before disappearing. If I adjust volume while watching YouTube or playing a game, I have to make an additional input because it simply won't go by itself. Fairly minor, but irritating nonetheless.

The other thing, which is a long standing issue to me, is the fact that screen automatic brightness is still awful. Not only that he but with the auto adjustment on, the slider bar is useless because after setting it, it eventually readjust itself. The slider on automatic should be a +1 to +5 increment of brighter or darker, of which the automatic adjustment can work, much like what Samsung phones have; an not just serve as a pointless slider with limited, temporary effect.

Another thing about the automatic brightness is that it still takes ages to adjust sometimes. It also needs tweaking because it confuses cloudy days as being 20ft away from the surface of the sun. Dimly lit rooms are still regarded as brighter than is and ad a result the lowest brightness setting on automatic is not low enough. This is another good reason for a similar slider ability to that of Samsung and others phones.

I know a lot of people don't use automatic brightness adjustment, but I do. I've always said that out of many phones I've had (even budget ones), automatic brightness on the OP3 is the worst I've experienced and poorly implemented.

I appreciate the work OnePlus do, but I feel that fairly important things are being ignored. Not only this but it's fairly obvious that some people (myself included) are experiencing inconsistencies with battery life. This is worse since Nougat as some apps seem to random eat battery power in the background, with a high drain effect, but don't do it 100 percent of the time.

I hope further improvements come and I hope instead that OnePlus eventually settles on bug fixing and polish as opposed to constantly chasing updates in Android in appease people always wanting the newest version. (I admit though, Nougat notifications are pretty ugly).

Peace.

kevonn95 and kri5hna like this.
  2. SimonRam KitKat Mar 20, 2017

SimonRam, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Well done on your Nougat spelling.
    The other things seem a little hit and miss, some are having probs, some not again.
    I wish they'd fix them for those who need them fixing.

UKFX likes this.
  3. BPTMatthew Cupcake Mar 20, 2017

BPTMatthew, Mar 20, 2017 :
    I personally use an app called Lux to control the brightness, and it's completely customisable which is nice! The only drawback is that you need to sleep it to allow permissions as it counts as a screen overlay.

I'm still on OOS 3.2.8 though so I cant vouch how well it'll work with the new version. Is it actually worth updating now? :)

4. PTuT Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2017

PTuT, Mar 20, 2017 :
    Definitely agree about the automatic brightness slider. I hope OP will give it some love and update its functionality.

5. xAphex Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 20, 2017

xAphex, Mar 20, 2017 :
    you could just use an app for auto brightness, i personally don't use auto brightness, i prefer keeping my brightness on low, even when I'm outside unless there's sun light, i do this to save battery

6. UKFX Froyo Mar 21, 2017

UKFX, Mar 21, 2017 :
    Sorry for the typos. I meant to say that the automatic brightness would work off of the increment. The brightness increments being a basis for the automatic brightness adjustment.

As for using an alternative app, it is a decent idea, but I don't like the idea that OnePlus are not addressing an important feature, especially as unnecessary brightness levels and slow adjustments also contribute to more wasted battery. Not only that but because I already use Twilight, an additional overlay may not work.

For me though, I can live with these issues. What I cannot live with, is the battery inconsistency. I have turned every imaginable setting off, with the exception of WiFi and Mobile Data. If I'm out, WiFi is also disabled. Where I live my signal is excellent, so band switching doesn't often occur and signal issues aren't a problem so the power used by the radio is much less.

I have NFC off, rotation off, WiFi 2.4GHz only (5ghz off), automatic WiFi switcher is off. WiFi scanning and Bluetooth scanning off. Vibrate on tap off. No touch sounds. I have ambient display off. Screen off gestures off. I have doze enabled. I have aggressive doze on (had it off for ages), auto app launch on and everything except a few apps set to not start up automatically. I also kill apps manually using by greenfly (no root). I've tried all of this and had all this stuff off since Marshmallow, through countless updates and factory reset my phone, cleared cache, moved to Nougat, did the same after a while. I also have Google backup disabled. Etc etc. Things were better on Marshmallow than Nougat but not only do I find battery inconsistency on Nougat like I did Marshmallow, I also get random apps taking 10% of battery in the background (usually only one) when they're not high power draw apps. It doesn't happen all of the time but I'm thinking that there are some serious bugs still in Nougat, alongside a lot of those annoying little ones (like the volume bar taking forever to disappear).

I've tried everything imaginable and turned almost everything off and it's been like this for ages. My phone is a dumb phone not a smartphone and I've contacted OnePlus on twitter several times. All they do is give generic responses or enquire more, but never follow up on my complaints or simply say so and so is already being worked on (doubtful).

Every since I've had my app, battery monitoring apps that calculate capacity over weeks not based on profiles (like many do), had always claimed my phone came with a 2700mAh battery. When I questioned OnePlus about this, they simply denied it. 6 months later my battery had an effective charge capacity of 2620mAh.

I'm getting tired to be honest. I wish OnePlus would fix these battery consistent issues. I've seen many other threads about this from other people. Polish is important. If we do get Android O... I hope that's the last one and that they work on pure optimisation and bug fixes for it, rather than continuing to pursue further updates for OS features.

7. SatriaPerdana Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 21, 2017

SatriaPerdana, Mar 21, 2017 :
    I do use the auto brightness all the times, I agree that sometimes it's adjusting improperly, for the alternative solve I usually lock the screen and unlock it again as it'll readjust the brightness again correctly.

8. danielck Honeycomb Mar 21, 2017

danielck, Mar 21, 2017 :
    instead of that, you can also just swipe down the quick setting and tap the "A" button to switch off and on the auto brightness.

9. F_Matthijs_Ruisaard_tnjn Cupcake Mar 21, 2017

F_Matthijs_Ruisaard_tnjn, Mar 21, 2017 :
    I was having the same volume slider issue on 6.0.3, but it went away after a while. It came back on nougat but also went away after a short while. Immensely frustrating.

10. G_Tony_Beck_Rvro Cupcake Mar 21, 2017

11. F_Jothi_Vanan_KhIO Froyo Mar 21, 2017

12. DSat1908 Cupcake Apr 6, 2017

DSat1908, Apr 6, 2017 :
    I still haven't rcvd 7.1.1 on my OnePLus 3T yet but I also have the brightness issue. I have Adaptive Brightness turned on but often the display brightness drops down to zero. I can still see the screen, barely but have to adjust back up to my normal level way too often.