#7DayReviewChallenge dsmonteiro’s OnePlus 5T Review

1. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 21, 2017

dsmonteiro, Nov 21, 2017 :
    [​IMG]

An introductory note: I’m doing this review as part of this contest. OnePlus will allow me to keep this device after I finish seven individual reviews. The only additional requirement I had to agree was that I must be honest in my reviews. That said, all that I will describe from now on is based on my experience.

For a tech junkie, there are few more exciting things than the thrill of unboxing and experiencing a new gadget for the first time. As such, and as any normal person would do, yesterday’s morning work productivity was pretty much limited to refreshing DHL’s tracking page every five minutes.

Truth be told, it’s been quite awhile since I’ve been this excited about any gadget, particularly a smartphone. So, without further ado, the unboxing!

Day One: Unboxing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The outer side of the box is a carbon copy of the design OnePlus is using since the OnePlus 3. In fact, you can easily mistake it with the OnePlus 5 case. And while it's far from being ugly, I miss the uniqueness of the design employed in OnePlus One's box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When you open it, you're greeted by the OnePlus 5T, front and center. I will talk about looks more thoroughly tomorrow but I have to say this: This phone is a stunner!

[​IMG]

Underneath it, you can find the Quick Start Guide, the SIM Tray Ejector, the Dash Charge cable and adapter and, to my surprise, a free translucent TPU case. While it's not as premium as the cases OnePlus sells, it might save you a trip or two to the repair center.

Speaking of cases, I also had the chance to unbox my favorite one, the Red Silicone Protective Case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos don't do this case any justice, though. The craftsmanship of it is second to none, as is its build quality. While a bright color, like red, might deter a lot of people from buying, the case's matte finish give it a very elegant look.[/SPOILER]

Next up:

Day Three: Camera Day
    Day Four: Performance Day
    Day Five: Dash Charge/Power Consumption Day
    Day Six: Oxygen OS Day
    Day Seven: Conclusion Day

So, feel free to leave your comments below and share what you want me to talk about in the next threads.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

2. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 23, 2017

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro, Nov 23, 2017 :
    Day 2: First Impressions, Design & Display
    Before we begin, credit where credit is due. The pictures used for today’s review were taken by my very good friend Rafael. You can check more of his photos on his Instagram.

With the unboxing out of the way and after finishing the initial setup (that I will talk about later, when I have my go at Oxygen OS), it’s now time to fully appreciate the phone.

[​IMG]
    You can’t really go wrong with small bezels and big displays. This combination makes a phone, that for all intents and purposes is still a OnePlus 5, look so much more modern and appealing. The change allowed OnePlus to cram a 6” display in a body similar to OnePlus 5’s, albeit a tad taller.

[​IMG]

This, however, does come with its costs. The front facing fingerprint sensor that first made its appearance on the OnePlus 2 has now been moved to the back. While this may have little impact for some, for me it fundamentally changes the way I interact with the phone. The car holder I have for the phone makes the scanner less accessible and Face Unlock is not practical to unlock the phone while driving. Google’s Smart Lock was the solution, with the phone unlocking automatically when connected to the car’s bluetooth.

Speaking of Face Unlock, it has been quite a surprise for me. I assumed I would only use it for reviewing purposes and never turn it on again but I keep forgetting the existence of the fingerprint scanner more and more often. I will reserve my final opinion about it for the seventh and final day of this review.

The rest of the design stays close to what we’ve seen on the OnePlus 5.

[​IMG]
    Left: Alert slider and volume rocker

[​IMG]
    Right: SIM card tray and power button

[​IMG]
    Bottom: Speaker grill, Type-C USB connector and 3.5mm headphone jack

I would like to point out two other changes, though. As you can see from the pictures above, OnePlus thankfully decided to align the LED flash with the logo and fingerprint sensor, so, rejoice nitpickers of this world! The other change is not as welcomed.

[​IMG]
    Due to the hardware changes, the camera bump is now even more prominent than before. This, combined with the fact that the back is a fingerprint magnet, makes it imperative to wear a case.

[​IMG]
    From left to right: OnePlus 2, OnePlus 3, OnePlus 5T
    But, speaking of design, one cannot ignore how phones from all BBK companies look alike. The Sandstone back made the OnePlus One and 2 stand out. The OnePlus 5T, however, would be hard to identify in a police lineup.

[​IMG]
    From left to right: OnePlus 5T, Vivo V7+, Oppo R11S

Don't get me wrong, the OnePlus 5T is a good looking phone. I would just like to see a less forgettable design.

What is not forgettable at all is the phone's build quality. While I won't destroy the phone JerryRigEverything style to prove a point, this is one of the most premium devices I have had the chance to hold. The display melds perfectly into the sturdy body and the buttons are extra clicky. :smirk:

Display

[​IMG]

I was never a major adept of AMOLED displays. When I first tried the OnePlus 3 I felt like all the colors were overly saturated, with images losing many nuances because of it. sRGB helped a bit but I still preferred OnePlus 2’s natural colors over OnePlus 3’s deep darks.

Thankfully, with the OnePlus 5T I no longer have to choose. Right after the initial setup, I jumped into settings, picked DCI-P3 screen calibration mode and was wowed by the color reproduction. But the great thing about it is that you can choose four different profiles or even a custom color mode where you can decide between warmer or colder tones.

[​IMG]
    Viewing angles are also improved over what I saw on the OnePlus 3, with color distortion only happening at extreme angles. I can't really compare the screen to the one on the OnePlus 5 but I'm sure my fellow reviewers will help you with that.

The sun has been a bit shy in the last couple of days so I haven't had the chance to fully test the Daylight Display performance but I've noticed punchier colors while driving to improve readability. Reading and Night Mode are no strangers for most of you, but I really enjoyed these two options, especially the ability to have them turn on automatically according to the apps you open or the time it is. Both seem to reduce eye strain, helping you enjoy the beautiful screen longer.

One feature I didn't like so much was Lift Up Display. While its purpose is to show notifications when you pick the phone up, I found it was overly sensitive, lighting up even when I was already holding the phone.

If specs are your thing, the OnePlus 5T is rocking a 18:9 2160 x 1080 6.01" AMOLED display with a pixel density of 401 dpi. According to AIDA64, the panel's model is the S6E3FC1, manufactured by Samsung. Some may be sad not to see a QHD display, but I find no reasons to. This pixel density is perfectly crisp for the naked eye and mobile VR still hasn't truly lifted off. There's simply not enough to justify the negative impact on battery life.

This wraps it up for today's review but feel free to ask any questions you like. See this thread as a running AMA. ;)

And for those of you wanted a few more pictures of the Red silicone case (@eye842 and @G_plusone, I’m looking at you), here’s a special treat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017

AnuiBay, daster_x, Gonzo01 and 39 others like this.
  3. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 25, 2017

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro, Nov 25, 2017 :
    Day Three: Camera Performance

I know today’s review should be focused on the Camera (no pun intended), but I still haven’t had the chance to put it through its paces. I expect to have it ready by the weekend, after having some daylight time to take pictures. Instead, today is all about performance.

But how does one measure or review performance on a smartphone? Depending on how you use your device, there may be several different answers to this question. So, if today’s review doesn’t clear all your doubts about the OnePlus 5T’s performance, feel free to ask me any questions you might still have. If you want, you can even ask me to perform specific tests and will do my best to oblige.

Benchmarks are a way to assess the phone’s raw performance but how does that translate into real life user experience? Does a random number represent how much you will enjoy the OnePlus 5T? For those of you that believe it does, fear no more. Here are OnePlus 5T’s results:

Antutu Benchmark

Screenshot_20171124-234228.jpg Screenshot_20171124-234236.jpg

As expected, the OnePlus 5T's results are quite similar to those of the OnePlus 5. The small difference that may exist is not significant to be considered. And, as you'll see, this will be seen throughout all the benchmarks.
    3DMark

Screenshot_20171124-110939.jpg Screenshot_20171124-235035.jpg

On 3DMark, the OP5T was among the best scoring Android devices, being only beaten by Nvidia Shield's Tegra X1 processor in Sling Shot Extreme. One interesting thing about this test is how cool the phone stayed, as you can see by the graph. In fact, during all these benchmarks, the OnePlus 5T was barely warm to the touch.

Geekbench

Screenshot_20171124-112309.jpg Screenshot_20171124-112303.jpg Screenshot_20171124-112258.jpg

As in all previous tests, the phone passed Geekbench with flying colors. The combination of the best SoC available, 8GB and the blazing fast storage make it a tough phone to beat.

Throttling test

Screenshot_20171124-233151.jpg

One of the biggest performance hurdles is the heat generated by the SoC. This can have a very negative impact on the overall speed of a device. The OnePlus 5T, however, showed it doesn't break a sweat under pressure. Even with a synthetic 100% load on all 8 cores, the phone was able to keep working near the maximum performance. It's worth noting that no normal app creates this amount of load.

But what about those of you that care little about benchmarks...? How is real life performance?

Connectivity

Screenshot_20171124-223142.jpg

When it comes to connectivity, the OP5T supports speeds of up to 600Mbps / 150Mbps over LTE. What this means is that my network is the only bottleneck I have when downloading or uploading a file and the same thing happens when connected through Wi-Fi. For the last four days I experienced no call drops and excellent sound quality and connections through both mobile data and Wi-Fi seemed stable, even during large downloads. Setting up the phone with my car's bluetooth also went without a hitch.

Multi-tasking

One of the upsides of having this ludicrous amount of RAM is that more apps can be kept in memory, making multi-tasking a much more enjoyable experience. I was able to have Waze GPS, Pokemon Go, Spotify and Chrome all working at the same time without having any single of those app refreshing. Jumping between apps is blazing fast, especially compared with the sluggish experience I had on the Moto G5 Plus.

Face Unlock

If there's something that truly surprised me performance-wise, it was Face Unlock. My expectations were pretty low, and I had my mind made up that this was a gimmick feature I would disable as soon as this review was over. While the initial 4.7.0 Oxygen OS version appeared to dislike my face to the point of not completing set up, after I received the 4.7.2 update, I couldn't be happier with it.
    Face Unlock works so good I find myself not using the fingerprint sensor at all. I then decided to put security to the test. I tried to unlock my device with both a picture and a video of myself with no sucess. While I do understand that it's not as safe as the fingerprint sensor, this feature has convinced me beyond my wildest expectations.

Gaming

Disclaimer: I'm not a mobile gamer. The only reason I currently have a handful of games installed of my phone is this review. As such, I don't think I can adequately give an opinion on gaming performance.
    The only game I frequently play nowadays is Pokemon Go. In that specific game, I noticed a much faster startup.

Overall experience

As I started out saying, I don't believe it's easy to review performance. I do believe, however, that the way you experience the phone is far more important than raw numbers. And my experience has been overwhelmingly positive. The phone's UI feels snappy, with no noticeable lags, multitasking works far better than in any other phone I've used and, the thing that matters most to me, I enjoy using it.

Attached Files:

AnuiBay, Gonzo01, _DEDSEC_ and 20 others like this.
  4. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 27, 2017

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro, Nov 27, 2017 :
    Day Four: Power Consumption & Dash Charge

I was quite impressed about how the OnePlus 5T performs and runs cools, but having a powerful smartphone doesn't mean much if you can't disconnect it from the power socket. I also don't believe that it's the user's duty to implement measures to increase battery life. One should not have to be worried that if he or she doesn't turn off bluetooth / Wi-Fi / mobile data / whatever his or her smartphone won't survive through the day.

I'm used to having mediocre battery life. I still haven't found out why but regardless, of the device I use, I'm used to struggle to reach 3 hours of SOT. With my previous phone, the very energy efficient Moto G5 Plus, only with a Custom Kernel and Greenify was I able to have a satisfying battery life. While some had over 6 hours of screen-on time with the OnePlus 3, I ended up having half of that. Because of this, my expectations concerning the OnePlus 5T's battery were mild to put it lightly. And maybe that's the reason why I ended up being so surprised.

Power Consumption
    There are dozens of variables when it comes to power consumption. Cell coverage, the apps we use, the time the screen is on, how frequently we interact with the phone, even room temperature. All of these and more play their part in draining our precious batteries.

For context, I don't consider myself a heavy usage user. I barely play any games (aside from Pokemon Go), I don't make long calls and I usually don't use my phone to play videos.

Screenshot_20171124-080338.jpg Screenshot_20171124-080345.jpg

With my typical use profile and after a full night disconnected, I managed to get 2h23 of screen-on time and still have 61% of battery left.

Today, however, I decided to push the phone and see how it could manage a heavy usage profile. For that, in addition to my normal use, I resorted to three games (Sky Force Reloaded, Asphalt 8 and Pokemon Go) and did quite a bit of photo shooting.

Screenshot_20171126-094025.jpg Screenshot_20171126-102557.jpg Screenshot_20171126-102613.jpg Screenshot_20171126-110723.jpg

During 9 hours of stand-by, the phone impressively only lost 3% of battery (sorry, I only remembered to take a screenshot after I fully woke up). Nearly one hour of Sky Force Reloaded barely made a dent, taking 9% of battery. And with 20 more minutes of Asphalt 8, the battery got to 79%, with a total of 1h35 SOT.

Until 4 pm I used the phone as I would normally would, in a combination of WhatsApp, web browsing and light Pokemon Go gaming. At that I went to the beach and enjoyed the really nice weather while I tried to take some pictures and video worthy of appear in the Camera review.

Screenshot_20171126-183139.jpg Screenshot_20171126-183200.jpg

At 6:30pm, after a far heavier use than what I'm used to and 5h18 of SOT, I finally plugged the phone to my Dash car charger. This may not seem much to some of you but, again, I was used to getting around 3h of SOT before needing to charge my phone while not using half the apps I used today.

One thing that really helped me achieve this is the notifications of apps that are wasting battery in the background:

[​IMG]
    I frequently see this for Pokemon Go but the system has also warned me about WhatsApp using a unusually high amount of battery. Clicking the notification takes you to a screen where you can Force Stop the app, which very handy.

In one of the days, I did have a less than stellar battery life, due to a specific app I was testing (Light Flow, as requested by @Dunnow) that wasn't allowing the phone to deep sleep. After uninstalling it, I had no additional problems.

Dash Charge

The "A day’s power in half an hour" motto is probably well known by all of you. The claim is bold. With only 30 minutes of charge, Dash Charge compatible phones are able to last through the day. What this actually means is that, with Dash Charge, the OnePlus 5T (and the three devices that preceded it) charges from 0 to 60% in that period.

While 60% of battery for the full day would probably make me a bit anxious, I find myself only needing to charge from and to work, during a 20 minute commute. So, even if 30 minutes are not enough for me, 40 certainly are. Even on a car charger, connecting to the car via bluetooth, using GPS and Spotify, the phone still charges quicker than my Moto G5 Plus did when connected to the wall charger, using the Quick Charge 2.0 technology.

Screenshot_20171126-193339.jpg

The availability of accessories is an issue though. While you can easily find Quick Charge compliant chargers, cables and power banks, there is only one official supplier of Dash Charge compliant chargers and cables: OnePlus. There's not even a compatible power bank. I have to say I have mixed feelings about this.

This wraps it up the battery review. What is your opinion on Dash Charge? Do you prefer the superior Dash Charge technology or the more readily available Quick Charge?

Also, feel free to follow this thread for the three remaining parts of this review. Part five about Camera is just around the corner.

5. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 27, 2017

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro, Nov 27, 2017 :
    Day Five: Camera

[​IMG]

A huge disclaimer before we start with the Camera review. I'm not a professional photographer. Heck, I'm not even an amateur one. I, like many people just point the camera at stuff and take pictures. In most pictures you'll see below, I took a set of three different shots: Auto with HDR off, Auto with Auto-HDR and Manual with everything set to Auto. I do believe that the most interesting camera reviews will come from those that have a OnePlus 5 to compare to or have better expertise than me. That said, I will try my best to give you my honest opinion of what has been my experience with the OnePlus 5T camera.

Specs wise, the OnePlus 5T only differ in the secondary camera sensor on the back. The front mounted 16MP Sony IMX371 and the primary Sony IMX398 sensors stay the same, while the secondary secondary sensor has been replaced by Sony's IMX376K. This new sensor shares the same f/1.7 aperture and focal length 27.22 mm as the primary sensor, which allows the Portrait Mode pictures to no longer be cropped.

You can check the video below for a walkthrough of all the available options on the new camera app (please enable subtitles for description):

The app is quite feature packed but there a few things that are still missing. To name the most relevant ones:
    • Sound in slow motion
    • Higher frame rates and different resolutions in slow motion
    • The ability to choose different frame rates in Timelapse.
    • The ability to disable EIS in video shooting.
    Now to the pictures themselves. You can have a look at the full gallery on Imgur. Let's start by the several special modes and then dive into normal photo shooting.

Portrait Mode
    Portrait mode is probably one of the hottest trends in mobile photography. The idea is to give a DSLR look to portraits by applying algorithms that detect depth. This is usually done by taking the same shot from two different angles. OnePlus (and most manufacturers) resorts to two cameras to accomplish it.

The result largely depends on the photos you take. It can either take really nice looking photos, or photos that have a very artificial bokeh with blurred edges on around your photo's subject. In the picture below, you have both:

[​IMG]

A photo, that, for the most part looks quite good, but that, if you look closely, you'll see how the Portrait mode struggled with a few wilder strands of hair:
    upload_2017-11-27_11-25-39.png
    The same thing can occur with Beautify in selfies. When you crank the Beautify mode to eleven, things may become a bit weird, with the skin showing a very unnatural glow.

upload_2017-11-27_14-8-16.png

Panorama

[​IMG]

Panorama mode works admirably, with no stitching issues. The only limitation this mode has is having to shoot from left to right, which may introduce some exposure issues.

HDR

HDR has come a long way since it was first introduced in phones. While the first photos that I took with this mode on had a very unnatural look, HDR now allows to get more detail from photos with high dynamic ranges, while still real.

upload_2017-11-27_12-0-47.png
    I did notice a tendency of Auto HDR not kicking in situations where the photo could benefit from it, so I recommend you to try taking pictures with HDR on when you have scenes with bright and dark areas.

Video Shooting

This is just a small sample of 4K video, but I was pleasantly surprised with EIS. Software based image stabilization sometimes introduces wonky movements but I saw nothing of the sort. Sound capture quality also seems better than what I experienced on previous OnePlus devices.

I will try to make additional clips and I will update this post if I have anything relevant to share.

Slow Motion

Slow motion works as intended, but it's a shame that we still don't have 240 fps shooting or sound capture in such a powerful device.

Timelapse

I don't have any footage to share, but I find this mode quite lackluster, feature-wise. The camera app only has a fixed frame rate you cannot change, which makes this mode far less appealing than it could be.

Photos

My experience with the OnePlus 5T for photo shooting so far has been quite positive. On Auto mode with adequate lighting, the phone manages to capture good looking pictures where the color reproduction is spot on and in most cases pictures have a good amount of detail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos in Auto Mode look pretty much the same regardless of having Auto HDR on or not, while photos on Manual Mode tend to get under exposed. That being said, Manual mode should probably only be used if you want to tinker with the settings, rather than leaving everything on Auto.

One thing people complained about on the OnePlus 5 camera was the fact that some pictures tended to lose detail and get a water-color like look when zoomed in. This was particularly visible in foliage photos. Unfortunately, it seems post-processing is still causing it to happen, as seen in the picture below.

upload_2017-11-27_14-36-26.png

100% Zoom:
    upload_2017-11-27_14-35-7.png

Low light

This is probably the most differentiating aspect of the OnePlus 5T when comparing to the OnePlus 5, but I don't feel like I can reach a definitive conclusion on performance due to the lack of devices to compare to. I do think that, in extreme conditions, the OP5T captures more light than I'm used to. I would still like to do further testing and update this thread on this matter further down the road. I will try to compare it to the OnePlus 3.

The photo below was taken with my not so steady hands with very poor lighting:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As a final remark, I have to say that I'm pleased with the OnePlus 5T's camera quality. It's not a perfect camera and it's probably inferior to the one you find on the Pixel 2. But at this price point, you get three great sensors with a camera app that allows you to do great things, but still can be improved further down the road, especially when it comes to post-processing and the algorithms used. @Carl took the time to post about the improvements that are to be made in the near future. Let's see what comes from there.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017

6. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 28, 2017

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro, Nov 28, 2017 :
    Day Six: Oxygen OS

One of the biggest strengths of Android (and perhaps also of one of its biggest weaknesses) is how it can take many shapes and forms. Anyone, be it a manufacturers or one of you reading this, can grab AOSP (Android Open Source Project) code and build their own version of Android. While some users prefer versions of Android that are more modified, like Samsung's TouchWiz (I'm looking at you, @sfomin), others, myself included, prefer an experience close to Stock Android, not unlike the one you get from a Google device.

One of the things that always appealed to me in Oxygen OS was the idea of being something like AOSP with a twist. Adding just the right amount of changes to improve upon Stock Android, without bloating it.

So, how exactly does Oxygen OS compare to Stock Android Experience? Let's find out!

Setting up

[​IMG]

The set up process is pretty straightforward, like what you would find on most Android devices. When comparing to previous OnePlus devices, the only difference is the inclusion of the Face Unlock set up process at the expense of the removal of the fingerprint sensor configuration. One thing I would like to see added to the initial setup is being able to choose the display calibration right from the start.

Launcher

Screenshot_20171127-232427.jpg Screenshot_20171128-113534.jpg

The OnePlus Launcher offers a very Pixel Launcher like experience. It's a fluid experience that doesn't get in the way of enjoying the phone. If you swipe to the left of your home screen, you'll find Shelf, a place where you can easily access your widgets. The only reason why I've replaced it for a modified version of Pixel Launcher was the lack of Google Feed, which I personally prefer over Shelf.

Features
    With the set up and launcher out of the way, it's more time to dig deeper and check the main features that make Oxygen stand out.

Alert Slider

[​IMG]

Alert Slider is OnePlus' solution for toggling notifications. The 3-positions slider button allows you to switch between Silent, Do Not Disturb and Ring. For each of them you have some degree of customization, with the most interesting one being Do Not Disturb, where you choose to receive calls only from your contacts or even only your favorite contacts.
    This is a very handy feature, but I would still prefer to see each of the slider's position to a specific profile (e.g. Work, Home, Car) where you could customize things other than sounds, like toggling connectivity on or off.

Buttons

[​IMG]
    In Buttons, you can do a few nifty things. For one, you can set the navigation bar to automatically hide. If you do that, a new button will show on the left side of the navigation bar that allows you to pin and unpin the bar whenever you want. You can also set long press and double tap action to the Home, Recents and Back buttons.

Gestures

[​IMG]
    Gestures were first introduced in the OnePlus One and since then, they learned a thing or two. With the fingerprint sensor on the back, you can now use gestures to slide down the notifications bar or to take a picture. One thing missing though, is the ability to swipe up to open the app drawer.

Display

[​IMG]
    The Display settings menu is where some of the most interesting options are found.

Screenshot_20171128-145439.jpg Screenshot_20171128-145448.jpg Screenshot_20171128-145455.jpg Screenshot_20171128-145501.jpg Screenshot_20171128-145508.jpg
    Night Mode, Reading Mode and Screen Calibration were talked about in my Display review. you can read more about them here.
    You can also choose between a Light and Dark theme. While I do find the light theme more attractive, the all black dark theme really helps saving battery life, thanks to OnePlus 5T's AMOLED display. To complement the themes you can set the accent colors for the UI from a list of eight colors. Unfortunately, all the colors are a bit washed out. I would like to see OnePlus implementing a color picker along the lines of the image below.

upload_2017-11-28_15-32-27.png

App Locker

Screenshot_20171128-153344.jpg Screenshot_20171128-153352.jpg

App Locker allows you to protect your apps with your fingerprint. You can also block sensitive notifications for these apps. This feature does have two limitations, though:
    • Anyone that can bypass your PIN / Password, will also be able to bypass the App Locker, since you can't set a different PIN for it.
    • It doesn't protect your media files. Installing another Gallery app will reveal all your photos.

Gaming Do Not Disturb

Screenshot_20171128-153410.jpg Screenshot_20171128-153725.jpg

Gaming Do Not Disturb is a feature that I honestly don't use but that I see how some of you might really like it. What it does is to block incoming notifications so that they don't get in the way of your perfect score. Like the Reading Mode, you can set it to start automatically with specific apps or manually through the Quick Settings.

There are several other improvements over Stock Android like Scheduled power on/off, Pocket mode, a great File Manager, among others. What is common across all of these features is how unobtrusive they are and how seamlessly they are built into Oxygen OS. It's clear how much Oxygen OS has matured since its first version on the OnePlus 2. I would be lying if I said all is perfect, though. During this week I did find a couple of bugs.
    • The navigation bar color is inconsistent and in some situations the buttons are almost the same color of the bar, making harder to see them.
    • More than once, the options in Smart Lock disappeared, like some users are reporting on the OnePlus 5.
    But, aside from these two bugs, the experience has been one of the best software experiences I had on a smartphone. That being said, I would like to address on issue: the lack of Treble support.

While Project Treble isn't directly related to Oxygen OS, it can impact the time it takes for updates to come out and for long the device will be updated. Furthermore, it can also greatly help the Custom ROM scene. I would really like to see OnePlus explaining why they decided not to implement it.

This wraps it up for all the individual reviews! The final review will be released Soon™, so stay tuned!

7. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 29, 2017

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro, Nov 29, 2017 :
    Day Seven: Conclusion

For the last week, I've been exploring multiple aspects of OnePlus 5T, but as this review nears its end one final question still needs to be answered: Will it blend Do I recommend it?

My relationship with OnePlus may not be the simplest one. I first joined these forums in March 2014, more than three and a half years ago. I was a moderator for most of that period, spent hundreds and hundreds of hours helping out. I then. I did all of that because I truly believed what OnePlus stood for: A no-gimmicks smartphone manufacturer build around a community. With the OnePlus 2 and OnePlus X, that sentiment was gone, I stopped being a mod and, more importantly, I stopped recommending OnePlus as a whole.

When I won this contest, the techie in me was hyped for the chance to try new tech but I had no idea how this would unfold. With OnePlus' increasing focus on marketing, I was afraid they would try to steer me into a good review. It was a surprise when @David Y. and @Crystal Z. told me that, aside of completing the seven reviews, the only other requirement I had was to be honest. Now that was a surprise. Especially considering none of the reviews had to be pre-approved or vetted by anyone. This showed me two things: 1) a glimpse of the old OnePlus and that 2) OnePlus must be really confident about the OnePlus 5T.

Having tested the OnePlus 5T, I can see why. It was a joy using it for the past seven days. The build quality is superb and the software has come a long way since the first Oxygen OS version for the OnePlus 2. I'll try to summarize the review with the more than expected Pros & Cons list:

Pros
    • Specs - There aren't many specs where the OnePlus 5T can be improved. The only that comes to mind is screen resolution, but I still have mixed feelings about QHD.
    • Build quality - Self-explanatory. This is a premium phone.
    • Screen - The form factor and color reproduction are simply stunning.
    • Software - This was one of the things that surprised me the most. Oxygen OS is no longer the half-baked Cyanogen OS replacement it once were but a great Operating System by its own.
    • Battery life - Another surprising aspect about the OnePlus 5T. For someone that has always struggled with battery life, this is quite refreshing.
    • Camera - The camera hardware on the OnePlus 5T has huge potential.
    • Tinkerer friendly - This was something I didn't mention during the review but it is one of the most important things to me. The phone is only one week old but XDA is already filled with kernels and ROMs!
    • Value - Starting at 499€, this probably is the best deal you can get in the EU.
    Cons
    • No Oreo - Not getting Oreo out of the box is confusing. The OnePlus 3 getting Oreo before the OnePlus 5T it's something I still haven't found words for when I published this review.
    • No Treble - Treble already showed how important it can be for Custom ROM development. Not having it in a phone launched in November 2017 feels just wrong.
    • Camera - While the hardware has a huge potential, the software doesn't fully realize it, especially if you're a point-and-shooter like me.
    The OnePlus 5T may not be a perfect phone, but for me it's still the best deal you can get. And while I still have some trust issues with OnePlus, I have no problem recommending the OnePlus 5T. A note for OnePlus 5 users, though. I don't think upgrading makes any sense. Most of the great things the OP5T has are also present on your phone. So, enjoy it!

This is the final review for the OnePlus 5T but feel free to ask any questions you might still have or any comments you wish to make. I would like to finish with a huge thank you to David and Crystal for this opportunity and also to my fellow reviewers!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017

AnuiBay, pablofg1978, NMarks and 44 others like this.
  8. imattv4 Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2017

imattv4, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Excellent high quality review DS!

For the rest of you, this is what we should be seeing from you all. Pay attention to the small details and take your time!

Preparation and effort, always equal results

Edit: CE's can't win the contest can they?
    I don't think stickying your own review is at all fair to the rest of us peasants lol

9. MentalDraco Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2017

MentalDraco, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Let my first get my phone :D

10. Rizla Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2017

Rizla, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Nice day 1 write up. I'm shocked at that OP1 box never saw one before now.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  11. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 22, 2017

youbi, Nov 22, 2017 :
    @dsmonteiro Nice unboxing. :)

That red case really looks awesome. :hearteyes: How would you compare it to the one the op2 had? Its still very gripy and grabs all dirt and dust? That was the worst part of the one I had for the op2. :sweatsmile:

superplus, pa5t1s and dsmonteiro like this.
  12. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 22, 2017

dsmonteiro, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Yeah, it was the best unboxing experience I've ever had. But on the other hand, OnePlus 5T's box is one of the most efficient boxes I've seen, with very little wasted space. While this is a costs saving measure, it's also a very environment friendly thing to do.

Not nearly as much as OnePlus 2's.

13. SJBoss Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2017

14. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 22, 2017

Nope. This thread is the result of this contest, I already received a device.

And Community Experts cannot pin threads. ;)

RonaldM, pa5t1s and Alvie like this.
  15. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Nov 22, 2017

youbi, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Good to know. :) If I ever get tired of my discrete karbon bumper I will probably try that one.

dsmonteiro likes this.
  16. smartbuddy Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2017

smartbuddy, Nov 22, 2017 :
    @dsmonteiro : Excellent start to the reviews, completely agree with you on the uniqueness of the OnePlus One packaging, it was like a prized possession, a special and Rich presentation. Since then it's the monotonous package just like other brands.

Any idea if the Translucent TPU case is for everyone or only for reviewers ?

dsmonteiro likes this.
  17. T1511360575289 Cupcake Nov 22, 2017

T1511360575289, Nov 22, 2017 :
    wow that red looks amazing is it thin enough for my new OnePlus 5T

18. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 22, 2017

We received retail versions so everyone gets the TPU case. ;)

I don't find it bulky at all.

superplus, Praty_28 and smartbuddy like this.
  19. Lancelot_69 KitKat Nov 22, 2017

Lancelot_69, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Good first step review, like the pictures! Like the shipping box, very sleek and environmentally friendly.

NabZZ, Android450 and dsmonteiro like this.
  20. varma246 KitKat Nov 22, 2017

varma246, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Nice unboxing @dsmonteiro

But, where's the shot on oneplus?.. Jk:D
    May I know which device you used to take those pictures:), i hope it's one of the oneplus device onlyo_O

Punk_69 and Android450 like this.
  21. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 22, 2017

The OnePlus One box was shot with a Sony DSLR ages ago. Most were taken with the OnePlus 2. One or two might've been with the OnePlus 5, but I'm not entirely sure.

Jeet77, the_reckoner, RonaldM and 3 others like this.
  22. BobbyVK Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2017

dsmonteiro likes this.
  23. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 22, 2017

_DEDSEC_, Praty_28 and David Y. like this.
  24. eye842 Jelly Bean Nov 22, 2017

eye842, Nov 22, 2017 :
    Nice pictures and a good read, hope to see how the red case look on the phone.

meatandy and dsmonteiro like this.
  25. dsmonteiro The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Community Expert Nov 22, 2017

Today I'll take a few pictures. I'll be sure to include some with the case, just for you! ;)

26. Max.Mar Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2017

Max.Mar, Nov 22, 2017 :
    This is one good Unboxing description you have given here @dsmonteiro
    I believe you would nailed this contest as you do in the forum with your wit & wisdom.

meatandy, superplus, gaster and 3 others like this.