What We Stand For - the story of OnePlus.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mingyu, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Mingyu

Mingyu Well-Known Member Staff Member

As you may have noticed, we've been sharing snippets on Facebook, Google Plus and Twitter, but here’s the story in its entirety.

[​IMG]
    December 17, 2013 will go down in history. It’s when the OnePlus brand was first unveiled to the world.

[​IMG]
    Most smartphones on the market today fall into one or more of these descriptions:
    • Ugly: Designed by people without taste, for people who don’t care.
    • Bloated: Filled with useless features and options that you’ll never use in real life.
    • Shoddy: Poorly built with cheap materials, construction gaps, and creaking noises.

[​IMG]
    The goal for OnePlus is to become a respected, global brand. Today, there aren't many of those left.

[​IMG]
    E-commerce makes the world more transparent, gives users more choices, and changes the way business is conducted. Good products will become popular by word of mouth.

This is a great opportunity for a product focused company like OnePlus.

[​IMG]
    Our team consists of dreamers, and we’re striving to build something to be proud of.

[​IMG]
    Why are we called OnePlus? Here’s one explanation:

1 stands for the status quo.
    + represents our desire to do better.

We will always seek to disrupt and improve on the status quo.

[​IMG]
    Here’s the second explanation for the name OnePlus.

1 stands for our users.
    + stands for sharing.

We believe that good products will be shared between friends and family through word of mouth.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus builds only beautifully designed devices with the highest quality, because our users would never settle for anything less.

[​IMG]
    What does “Never Settle” mean when it comes to the product? There are a lot of questions about the best way to do something, but you have to get to the root of the issue.

People say they don’t want larger screens. What they really mean is that the device needs to feel comfortable in your hand. Users want the largest possible display without sacrificing single hand operation.

Another example is battery. People want a long lasting battery, but also want a slim body and a nice design.

We find that most companies, when faced with these difficult choices, make concessions and compromises. We will do our best not to.

[​IMG]
    Never Settle. It’s an attitude.

Our users would never settle no matter where they come from, whatever their age, whatever their background.

[​IMG]
    Our users would rather have nothing, than settle with something inferior.

OnePlus or nothing.

[​IMG]
    How will OnePlus survive? The essence of business has never really changed. The core focus has always been the product and what value it provides for customers.

Some companies have beautiful product images and specs that look good on paper. However, they leave users disappointed after the unboxing.

We believe in focusing on the aspects of a product that aren't immediately visible. Things like build quality, thoughtful design and service. Compared to competitors, this might be disadvantageous for us in the short run. However, we're confident that our product will speak for itself and spread through word of mouth, benefiting us in the long run.

[​IMG]
    Industrial design wise, we’re confident our phone is more attractive than just about any phone on the market.

Boom. We said it.

[​IMG]
    OnePlus One will be built using only the best components and 2014 flagship specs, both inside and outside.

[​IMG]
    With 9-band LTE support, the OnePlus One will allow for high speed connectivity in many countries around the world.

LTE Bands: 1/3/4/7/17/38/39/40/41

[​IMG]
    On the software side, we knew we needed the best available software to complement the caliber of hardware we choose. CyanogenMod has grown to be the world’s most popular open source operating system with more than ten million users.

CyanogenMod provides a light, fast and secure Android experience. The OnePlus flagship device will see a departure from the familiar CyanogenMod. There will be new, specially customized features and new exciting elements to the CyanogenMod experience.

[​IMG]
    Good things come to those who wait. Luckily, we won’t have to wait that long.

OnePlus One will see international availability in the second quarter of 2014.
    creliandobi, Treo, daf90 and 48 others like this.
  2. ram gupta

ram gupta Well-Known Member

Awesome.Keep going FULL AHEAD, no stops.Live up to ur words and you have me for life.I am sure many others share the same feeling.Its high time someone steps up the game.We are stuck between mediocre and better but seek nothing but the best.Please raise the bar for others to emulate.Cheers to your will and attitude.Change the game.NEVER SETTLE. P.S: Something tells me I am not going to be disappointed.
    D9inho, jewjitsu117, Chinda and 3 others like this.
  3. Sparkolo

Sparkolo Well-Known Member

Are you going to be in Barcelona for the MWC? :)
    Shyam likes this.
  4. Adam Krisko

Adam Krisko Well-Known Member

This is great.. I can't wait! This will definitely be my next phone!
  5. Allanitomwesh

Allanitomwesh Active Member

BEST. PROFILE. EVER.
    muddy46, Jossh and Adam Krisko like this.
  6. infernowheels

infernowheels Well-Known Member

I hope that we forumers get to reserve units! lol

In a more serious note, I'm both scared and happy to see that OnePlus is skipping the local brands and is going to take on the companies that we all know. My expectations are quite high now, but I do believe OnePlus will not fail to impress me with the One.
  7. Adam Krisko

Ditto
  8. Yes .. This is looking great.. We all are waiting for a very great phone.. And let all these words prove to be right at the final unveiling of the flagship.. All the best to all out there... Waiting for a great surprise..
  9. Mingyu

Unfortunately no :(
  10. Allanitomwesh

In that case...

LPDDR3 RAM
    DTS-HD,7.1 Surround,Dolby Digital Plus and 24bits/192khz audio
    MicroSD upto 64GB Class 10
    WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band,Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi hotspot
    DLNA
    Bluetooth Smart Ready
    NFC
    Infrared remote
    microUSB 3.0,USB Host,USB OTG,USB 3.0 cable by default in the box,otg cable by default in the box.
    MHL 2
    Camera button,UHD4K Video,720p SloMo,1080p@30fps front facer,wide angle.
    Wireless Stereo FM Radio,the offline kind that works without needing earphones to be plugged in,RDS
    GLONASS
    Qi Wireless Charging
    1080p Miracast
    Noise Cancellation mic
    ANT+
    Silicone Anode LiIon Battery

Feel free to surpass any of them
    ImNinjo, Noel, MobileGdgt and 2 others like this.
  11. Paul

Paul Active Member

@Mingyu : Please post some early design sketches :D
    Mingyu, Adam Krisko and Renz1er like this.
  12. AIT-Solutions

AIT-Solutions Member

BEST SPECS........ what more to say? Wait and see!
  13. Rohit

Rohit Member

Awesoem...looking forward for positive product.
  14. adlibitum

adlibitum Well-Known Member

As I read, there is already a prototype.

http://www.techinasia.com/one-plus-one/

Interestingly, did they took in consideration at least one idea from this forum.
  15. Mark Falsing

Mark Falsing Well-Known Member

Big phone companies today have too much focus on market share, I don't blame them because they are just trying to get the most profit they can. That is why it so exciting and relieving to see a company who just wants to focus on what they love most.
    Adam Krisko likes this.
  16. Tyler Hatch

Tyler Hatch Member

If you make good on your words, you will do fine the smartphone word. If you take full advantage of them, you will dominate pockets everywhere. I love what OnePlus stands for. Pete looks like a great guy, giving me confidence that everyone involved is actually motivated to make this dream happen. Cyanogen stands for great things as well. I can't wait for the OnePlus One! I'm so happy there is LTE band 4 (I still hate Verizon)! Please get this to the U.S. asap! Keep up the good work.
  17. Adam Krisko

18. Mingyu

We've gone through a few to fine-tune the appearance, but they're all non-functional prototypes.
    Andrew Z, Sparkolo and Mark Falsing like this.
  19. Allanitomwesh

I'd like to see a return of charging port at the top with a door to close it,like my old LG Optimus Black. Great phone that LG killed by abandoning on gingerbread.
  20. infernowheels

infernowheels Well-Known Member

LOL I'm actually still stuck on that phone right now. Actually there was an official ICS although not every country got it.

Still, I'm on CM10.1 and it only helps in making the Homescreen smoother, every game is still sh**.

And yup, the sliding door was really awesome, not like those flip out rubbery ones like Sony's.
    Allanitomwesh likes this.