It's official: we're partnering with CyanogenMod!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Mingyu, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Mingyu

Mingyu Well-Known Member Staff Member

After months of speculation, we can finally say for certain - our first phone will ship with a specially designed version of CyanogenMod with exciting new elements and features! The good news was announced earlier today by our CEO Pete Lau and Cyanogen Inc CTO Steve Kondik.

The CyanogenMod team will work in tandem with us to combine the best hardware with the best software. They are developing a custom version of CyanogenMod with special features and tweaks. We think the end result will be quite spectacular!

As Pete puts it, "What's coming is one of the most popular mobile operating systems specifically developed for the best hardware, with a unique twist. The smartphone industry is ripe for disruption, and 2014 should prove to be a huge year for the future of the market."

Steve is optimistic too: "Upon hearing Pete's vision for OnePlus, it was clear we had found the right partner. By combining our software expertise with Pete's background in hardware and design, we'll develop a phone that will exceed both of our expectations."

We debated on the name for our debut phone, and finally decided on the popular OnePlus One. We are launching in select markets and eventually expanding to more global availability. Keep an eye out for the OnePlus One in the first half of 2014!
  2. Adam Krisko

Adam Krisko Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Always loved Cyanogenmod! I'm running it on 2 of my devices now.. Can't wait to see what you guys have up your sleeves for the hardware!
    Bridget and Mingyu like this.
  3. Inner_Peace

Inner_Peace Member

OMG!!!! I can't wait! Best hardware + best software... Just curious, when will OnePlus One be available?
  4. Mingyu

"in the first half of 2014" :p
    n4n15, Xiaolu and dracinn like this.
  5. Inner_Peace

Inner_Peace Member

Thanks Mingyu! I'd better start saving $$$$ :D
    Mingyu likes this.
  6. Yolk

Yolk Member

LOL, That's in my imagination. Pete just went to Seattle CM office .and some of your guys from CM also .nice starting , keep moving ! Cheers !
  7. ram gupta

ram gupta Well-Known Member

Awesome news.Cutting edge hardware with complementing software.Looking fwd to it .One request though, do make India one of the initial markets.U have got a huge demographic for something like this.Dont blv me, look at the phones being sold my the indian companies.All chinese ripoffs with their names plastered prominently.Theres an awesome markey here waiting to be tapped.Please do it and please rid us from the tyranny of the cheap, bloated samsungs and the overpriced iphones.I hope ur listening.
    Jam10o, Saif and Mingyu like this.
  8. bwells88

bwells88 Member

Sounds amazing... It sounds like its going to rock the market... Can't wait!
  9. dracinn

dracinn New Member

I will definitely buy one of whatever this going to be. I guess I'll hold out on a phone for now.
  10. Sayer

Sayer New Member

What Will Differentiate You From All The Rest !!???
  11. Mingyu

Wait and see!!
    Mad likes this.
  12. Klarence Pitoc

Klarence Pitoc Active Member

WOW!!! Big News Expecting A big One in the Coming Months CynogenMod Software + 1+ hardware Perfect Couple :D
    Mingyu likes this.
  13. Corey M

Corey M Member

Nice intro. I'm excited also to hear about the special version of CM as its a nice OS but with a new phone I wouldn't want the same CM as all the other phones so this is good news. Hopefully it stays open, so users can use vanilla AOSP if they wish. One of the best things about OPPO is how open and developer friendly they are. Being able to root and ROM without voiding the warranty is huge!
  14. Robert Aitchison

Robert Aitchison New Member

"Never Settle" Does that mean I won't be asked to settle for a phone without basic features like a replaceable battery and expandable storage?

Or is Samsung going to continue to get my business for the foreseeable future?

/kindatrollingbutIhatehavingnochoiceinphones
  15. Mark Falsing

Mark Falsing Well-Known Member

This is awesome news, and I can't wait to see what is conjured up in the future. Something about the Never Settle that has me so excited here in little Denmark!
  16. RichardHanooman

RichardHanooman New Member

Nice! I will be looking forward for this phone and saving some money. Oppo Find 7 will not have a chance with the OnePlus! I hope
    dracinn likes this.
  17. Paul

Paul Active Member

Please don't put swivel camera o_O
    Mad likes this.
  18. Paul

Paul Active Member

Great news @Mingyu : so basically One+ has 6 months to show something. CM was always there, nothing new on that front. But pure CM with custom UI and service integration is great, apart from their own release cycle.

Congratulation to all the team for the partnership. Best wishes.
    Mingyu likes this.
  19. iceman#1

iceman#1 New Member

you really mean available or do you mean launch?
    I want to have the day I can buy it...
  20. Mingyu

We don't have specific dates yet, but if you subscribe to updates you'll be the first to find out about our beta testing program :)